Original Research - Special Collection: Centenary Festschrift

The story of the Department of Practical Theology

Elsje P. B, Julian C. M
Verbum et Ecclesia | Vol 30, No 3 | a153 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/ve.v30i3.153 | © 2009 Elsje P. B, Julian C. M | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 22 September 2009 | Published: 17 December 2009

About the author(s)

Elsje P. B, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Julian C. M, Faculty of Theology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria

Full Text:

PDF (175KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share


This article tells the story of the development of the Department of Practical Theology of the Faculty of Theology at the University of Pretoria. The story goes back to the start of the Faculty in 1938, although the Department of Practical Theology was only established in 1966 when Professor H.D.A. du Toit applied himself fully to the subject and Professor C.W.H. Boshoff became the first full-time lecturer for Missiology. The article is written mainly from the perspective of the Dutch Reformed Church, but with the acknowledgement of the appointments of Professor Yolanda Dreyer from the Nederduitsch Reformed Church of Africa and Professor Maake Masango from the Uniting Presbyterian Church of Southern Africa.


Department of Practical Theology; Faculty of Theology; University of Pretoria; missiology; theological teaching


Total abstract views: 2041
Total article views: 2762

Reader Comments

Before posting a comment, read our privacy policy.

Post a comment (login required)


Crossref Citations

1. Die erediens as fees of die fees as erediens?: �n Andrew Murray pryswenner �n kwarteeu later herlees
Cas Wepener, Andr� Bartlett
Verbum et Ecclesia  vol: 35  issue: 2  year: 2014  
doi: 10.4102/ve.v35i2.1249