Original Research - Special Collection: Centenary Festschrift

Church History and Church Polity in the Faculty of Theology at the University of Pretoria

Graham A. Duncan, Johan van der Merwe, Barry van Wyk
Verbum et Ecclesia | Vol 30, No 3 | a131 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/ve.v30i3.131 | © 2009 Graham A. Duncan, Johan van der Merwe, Barry van Wyk | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 21 September 2009 | Published: 17 December 2009

About the author(s)

Graham A. Duncan, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Johan van der Merwe, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Barry van Wyk, University of Pretoria

Full Text:

PDF (191KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Theology has been an integral part of the University of Pretoria since its inception and Church History has been taught since the establishment of the Faculty of Theology in 1917. At that time, the Presbyterian Church of South Africa and the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk van Afrika (NHK) were partners. The Presbyterian link with the Faculty ceased in 1933. From 1938 the Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerk (NGK) joined the NHK and this remained the situation until 2002 when the Uniting Presbyterian Church of Southern Africa re-established its links with the Faculty. At the present time, the Department of Church History and Church Polity is staffed by representatives of all three partner churches.

Keywords

church history; church polity; University of Pretoria; Faculty of Theology; Department of Church History and Church Politics

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1962
Total article views: 3387

Reader Comments

Before posting a comment, read our privacy policy.

Post a comment (login required)

Crossref Citations

No related citations found.